Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

SYNOPSIS:
"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.

MY REVIEW:
This book was the perfect contemporary read for the summer! I was so excited to read this and got exactly what I wanted out of it! I found the characters- Sam and Jase- to be very relate-able and mature. They weren't winy or crying all the time and I liked that. The only I didn't like was that Sam never stuck up for herself. If I was her and I had her mom, I would have bitched her out and left the house a LONG time ago! Her mother was just so effing irritating and I could NOT take it. Her little boyfriend was annoying too. But when the accident happened...that was the biggest plot twist ever! I totally didn't expect it to be Jase's dad. I also hate that part when Sam just didn't tell Jase about the whole thing. She hid it from him for so long. And then he wasn't even mad about it? Like, what the hell is that?! I would have been extremely pissed of no one told me! I overall loved this book, I just didn't like the boring parts or parts that dragged on. That's why I gave it only four stars. I recommend this to contemporary lovers or fun summer reads! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I loved this book. The family was just so likable and I loved them so much. They really stood out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally some characters that are not winy! That's one of my big problems with YA books. So, I'm definitely looking forward to picking up this one. I have to wait until summer though, to get the full experience. :)

    ReplyDelete