Saturday, March 8, 2014

Book Review: The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

SYNOPSIS:
E. Lockhart’s spot-on dialogue and descriptions of painfully but hilariously relatable situations make this young adult novel an addictive read.
Fifteen-year-old Ruby has had a rough ten days. During that time she:
* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
* lost her best friend (Kim)
* lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
* did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
* did something advanced with a boy (#15)
* had an argument with a boy (#14)
* had a panic attack
* lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
* failed a math test (she'll make it up)
* hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
* became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
* had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys'!?!)
But don't worry. Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.

MY REVIEW:
I went into this book thinking it was going to  be totally middle grade because I don't even know why. I just thought it would be a little young for me...but that was not the case! I liked this book. I liked Ruby as a character and was constantly laughing at her little side notes. I liked the whole concept of this book and was glad she learned something with each guy she went through. (That totally makes her sound slutty, but shes really not...) I also liked the therapist too. Oh, and Angelo, Gideon and Noel. Yeah, they are probably the only people I liked in this book. Every other guy was a total asshole and her parents drove me freaking insane! I hated the parts with her mom and her dad was annoying AF! Seeming as I only gave it 3/5 stars, there was more that I disliked than liked in this book. I think the big reason I disliked this book was because of her "best friends". They were honestly pieces of shit (Along with all the boys I didn't like). One basically stole her boyfriend, one talked shit about her and one totally ditched her.  I felt the ending was summarized way too fast. I actually wanted her to end up with Gideon or one of the nice guys and that  didn't happen. (Oh well.) I liked this book from a younger reader's stand point like middle school but I just think I'm a little old to be reading this stuff! I do want to continue on with the series though, just for Ruby! 





No comments:

Post a Comment