Sunday, March 23, 2014

Book Review: Amelia Anne Is Dead And Gone by Kat Rosenfield

SYNOPSIS:
An arresting un-coming-of-age story, from a breathtaking talent. Becca has always longed to break free from her small, backwater hometown. But the discovery of an unidentified dead girl on the side of a dirt road sends the town--and Becca--into a tailspin. Unable to make sense of the violence of the outside world creeping into her backyard, Becca finds herself retreating inward, paralyzed from moving forward for the first time in her life.
Short chapters detailing the last days of Amelia Anne Richardson's life are intercut with Becca's own summer as the parallel stories of two young women struggling with self-identity and relationships on the edge twist the reader closer and closer to the truth about Amelia's death.



MY REVIEW:
Oh. Man. This book. I am really starting to like coming-of-age stories. I really enjoyed the writing in this book. It was very unusual yet understanding. I totally liked the MC, Becca, from the beginning. I liked how she wanted to get away from her small town where everyone gossips and everyone knows everyone. I can kind of relate to that! I didn't like her boyfriend from the beginning. He was a total asshole and if that was me, I would have never forgiven him for doing something that shitty to me. I liked how Rosenfield had a totally separate part for just Amelia alone. It really showed the reader how Amelia came to be where she was found. A couple of the parts were rather scary to me! I didn't think the book would have that kind of effect on me, but it did. And at the end when Becca found the silver cigarette case in James' glove box! Oh my gosh. Biggest plot twist of my life! I totally expected Craig or one of the men they already arrested to kill her. But nope, it wasn't them. And I felt really bad for Becca when she went to Craig's funeral and said she was sorry to his father and he turned his head. I mean, I felt bad for Craig too, but she kind of made them beat him up. I didn't expect him to die... I liked the book overall but some of the parts I was a little confused at and there were parts that I didn't know where she was or if she was telling the whole thing in flashback. That made me not understand some of the story. I gave this book a 4/5 stars and I hope to read more Kat Rosenfield in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment