Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Book Review: Jerk, California by Jonathan Friesen

SYNOPSIS:
This Schneider Family Book Award winner changed the face of Tourette's Syndrome for modern teens. Wrought with tension, romance, and hope, Jerk, California tells the story of Sam, who sets out on a cross-country quest to learn the truth about his family and his inherited Tourette's Syndrome, along the way finding both love and acceptance.

MY REVIEW:
Well, this book was not at all what I expected it to be. I liked it at first, but then at moments, I was just sitting there like, "What? What just happened?" I was frequently having to look back at previous pages to see what was going on. In the beginning, he would skip months and seasons and you were just like "What the hell just happened? What season are we in?" I like Jack more during the second part of the book titled "Jack." Naomi was all over the place for me. She was either a bitch or the sweetest person. Also for her, I liked her better in the second part of the book. I liked the idea of their road trip together and I finally thought they were going to get together, but every time they were at a new place things just went downhill! It was really frustrating how she was a snob and Jack still wanted to be with her. It was also really weird how he always talked to himself and how he was thinking he saw his dad. I think people weren't detailed enough and that was a huge problem! Throughout reading this entire book, I still couldn't picture anyone. I couldn't picture what Jack looked like, Naomi, Jack's mom, anyone they met, and George. It was totally frustrating. A lot of the parts in this book dragged on and I was forcing myself to keep reading on just to get the book over with. Like I said, I liked it at parts, but I wouldn't recommend this book. Overall, I gave it a 2-2.5/5 stars. It was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment