Saturday, February 15, 2014

Book Review: Just One Day by Gayle Forman

SYNOPSIS:
Allyson Healey's life is exactly like her suitcase—packed, planned, ordered. Then on the last day of her three-week post-graduation European tour, she meets Willem. A free-spirited, roving actor, Willem is everything she’s not, and when he invites her to abandon her plans and come to Paris with him, Allyson says yes. This uncharacteristic decision leads to a day of risk and romance, liberation and intimacy: 24 hours that will transform Allyson’s life.

A book about love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the accidents” of fate,Just One Day shows us how sometimes in order to get found, you first have to get lost. . . and how often the people we are seeking are much closer than we know.


MY REVIEW:
Well, what a disappointment. I expected such good things from this book and got nothing. Everyone (on Goodreads) said it was a good book and I was sooooo not impressed. I feel the story had nothing to do with the synopsis. This is not a love story. Okay, maybe the first 150 pages, but I'm pretty sure after that, its a coming of age story. Willem leaves and of course Allyson goes back to her normal life as if nothing happened. Blah, blah, blah. We all know how that goes: She wants to know what happened, what happened to him and wonder if it was her fault. Honestly, after the first part of the book, I was bored. I didn't enjoy the story line and feel like it dragged on. This book was boring as hell. After the first part, it didn't feel like a love story anymore. It just felt like those 24 hours spent with Willem, Allyson's life changed. And I guess that part of the synopsis is true. But other than that, she doesn't even freaking see him until the end! She spends like forever looking for him. And then it just ends...and then nothing!  I just think this book was all over the place. It didn't really hit my love feelings and does not make me want to read the next book. I didn't feel connected to the characters and just didn't click for me. 2.5 stars for an overall rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment