Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Book Review: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

SYNOPSIS:
It's also a love story, of sorts, the narrative of Gatsby's quixotic passion for Daisy Buchanan. The pair meet five years before the novel begins, when Daisy is a legendary young Louisville beauty and Gatsby an impoverished officer. They fall in love, but while Gatsby serves overseas, Daisy marries the brutal, bullying, but extremely rich Tom Buchanan. After the war, Gatsby devotes himself blindly to the pursuit of wealth by whatever means--and to the pursuit of Daisy, which amounts to the same thing. "Her voice is full of money," Gatsby says admiringly, in one of the novel's more famous descriptions. His millions made, Gatsby buys a mansion across Long Island Sound from Daisy's patrician East Egg address, throws lavish parties, and waits for her to appear. When she does, events unfold with all the tragic inevitability of a Greek drama, with detached, cynical neighbor Nick Carraway acting as chorus throughout. Spare, elegantly plotted, and written in crystalline prose, The Great Gatsby is as perfectly satisfying as the best kind of poem.

MY REVIEW:
As you know, I LOATHE reading books for class. I feel like every book Ive read in school was absolutely terrible. Until this one. I loved this book! I ended up giving it a 4/5 stars! I only gave it four because I dislike not knowing what the characters look like. I couldn't picture Nick the WHOLE book and only got small details about the other characteristics. And, at times during the book, I had no idea what was going on. I had to re-read the lines a couple of times to actually understand the meaning. I had not seen the movie before I read the book so I had no clue what was going to happen. I cant even believe Gatsby dies. Those pages of the book upset me to NO END. No one ever found out that it wasn't Gatsby who killed Myrtle or did anything with her. And then Gatsby's dad comes back?! Like, what the hell? He said his parents died?! AHH! I also didn't like how out of every single person that went to his parties, not one went to his funeral. HOW RUDE. I really didn't like Daisy either. Make up your mind girl, you're either with Tom or Jay. Get with the program. I know its sounding like I didn't like anything in this book, but I really did like it as a whole. Key word: whole. I suggest it if your into reading the classics! 

No comments:

Post a Comment